Tompkins Township Michigan
Home
Board
Zoning Ordinance
Zoning Map
Ordinances
Minutes
Forms and Fees
Tax Information
Hall Rental
Planning Commission
Contacts
History
of Tompkins
Links
Download
Adobe Reader
Free
History of Tompkins




Tompkins History

Tompkins Township is located in the northern tier of townships in Jackson County, and was set off as a Township from an area of land including Spring Arbor, in 1838. The Township was named after Gov. Daniel B. Tompkins all of New York State, as was Tompkins County, New York, from where many of the early settlers came.
The first to come, in 1832, were Nicholas Townley and his sons Anson and Richard, followed by Gardner Gould and David Adams. Descendants of many of these pioneers still live here.
Tompkins is mainly an agricultural community with the main waterways, the Grand River and Sandstone Creek, running through it. The village in itself grew around the Grist Mill situated on Sandstone Creek, and included a general store, a sawmill, blacksmith shop,Post Office, and the "Tompkins House" a stage stop on the Clinton Trail.
The first churches were Fairview, on North Parma Road, Pope, on Pope Church Road,
and East Tompkins Baptist, at Maple Lane in Dixon Roads.
By 1880 the Township had established nine schools -- one brick, one log, and seven frame buildings.

Current residents of the Township interested in preserving our history have formed a Historical Society which meets the third Monday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Tompkins Township Hall.
Anyone interested in the history of the area is invited to attend.

The Historical Society is currently reprinting a third edition of the Township's history, "ALL AROUND THE TOWN". It was originally published in 1976 and again in 1988.
Books may be ordered by calling Jeanette McDonald at (517) 569-2211 or writing to the Society,
10138 Tompkins Rd., Rives Junction, Michigan 49277

Township Hall
(not mailing address)
9999 Tompkins Rd,
Rives Junction, MI 49277
Tompkins Township
(mailing address)
8211 Dixon Rd.
Rives Junction, MI 49277
John A. Tuttle, Supervisor
Phone: (517)569-3263
9555 Minard Rd. Parma, MI 49269

Web hosting and Development by WebFootSolutions.Com